Monday, April 11, 2011

A Rainy Day in Harwich Port

With a promise of good weather I made my plans for a free Monday to drive over to Harwich port to enjoy a tourist afternoon. My sense of direction on The Cape is nonexistent, so I am trying to plan some outings for myself to get a better sense of where to go. It should be easy, because there are only a very few main roads. Unfortunately the ones that exist are oddly labeled. 28, which basically goes East to West, is labeled North or South. There is water on both sides, not even counting the ponds, and the roads are windy and rolling so I can't see far enough ahead to get a little clue. I know I drove the person behind me on the way to our storage unit mad because I was going too slow trying not to miss my turn. I relied on the Google Maps on my phone, and I admit to a fair amount of turning around.  



First I ran my errands - shipping some boxes out of state and returning some boxes to our storage unit. I went to Petco to pick up some food for Roxy. Then I was free to drive out to Harwich Port with an idea that I would like to walk around near the docks and the beach and check out some of the shops.  Sadly, the weather stayed grey with mist and light rain.  The promised temperatures in the 70s did not materialize, nor did the sun.  A lot of the shops and restaurants were still closed for the season, but the town is pretty and I was able to do a little sightseeing and some shopping.

Dr. Gravity's Kite Shop had some wonderful and fun things, including (obviously!) some really beautiful kites.  The kites, and loads of other things, are also available online.

I also visited  Adventures in Knitting, which had been described to me as stocking mostly interesting and luxury yarns.  It did not disappoint. They stock a lot of Frogtree alpaca in some beautiful colors.  I picked up a few skeins in a beautiful nearly solid peach on clearance to add to my winter accessory stock and an interesting zuberball to replace the socks I ended up (with regret) passing along as a Christmas present last year.

No comments: