Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A Book Recommendation

I've been scratching my head in confusion and despair over the support the American working class has been giving the GOP.  It makes no sense to me at all. I grew up in a respectable working class family and know for a fact that working class people are not more stupid than anyone else.  I could not understand how otherwise sensible people could fail to see how they were hurting themselves with every kind of information available in print and on the Internet. One book I read that gave me a little insight was What's the Matter With Kansas? .  It didn't answer all my questions, or resonate with my personal experience of the working class.  Then I became acquainted with Joe Bageant through his blog.  Joe Bageant died this year, but the articles on his blog survive, and I am currently tearing through one of his books: Deer Hunting With Jesus .  This book explains it in a way I can understand, and that means something to me.  I recommend it.;  I wish every liberal would read it.

The pictures don't have anything to do with the book, but everything to do with the issues of class war that the book addresses.  These were taken in the bus terminal at Boston's South Station.  Public transportation is one of those things that the congress does not like to address in any serious way.  I think it's seen as a poor people's issue and is therefore of no interest to the rich and powerful.  It's probably more than that -  low wage people who have access to good public transportation don't have to buy cars (on credit) or gasoline, for one thing.

No comments: