Thursday, June 16, 2011

Return to Lowell Holly Reservation

With a little time to spare this afternoon I took off for a walk in the woods. I chose to go back to the Lowell Holly Reservation to get a better look at what it has to offer.  My first peek at it was really brief, so I had been looking forward to a longer walk. I took a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a can of tea and set out to enjoy the outdoors.

The first thing I did when I got there (after missing my turn as I always manage to do) was change my mind about where I wanted to park, and backed the bike rack into an iron post. Big damage. Ouch.  I'll have to see if a welder can fix it, otherwise it will have been a costly little afternoon trip.



The first time I went to the Lowell Holly Reservation I did not really have time to see the hollies.  The reservation features about 250 ilex opaca, which grow naturally only on the New England coast. There has been little alteration of the landscape here in the last 200 years, so here you can see mature holly, birch, and tupelo.  The trails are well maintained, and in spite of today's perfect weather I saw no other visitors.  What I did see was lots of beautiful trees, ferns, moss, and wild iris. The water views were lovely, and the quiet under the trees was magically restoring.

We are now down to less than two weeks until we close on our house. Time to swap "it's taking too long" for "OMG how will I get ready in time" !

1 comment:

Kay Dennison said...

What a lovely place! 'Restoring' is the perfect word for it!

Glad to hear you're finally going to close and I'm sure you'll be fine!