Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Knitting a Log Cabin

I'm on a roll! Yesterday I finished another baby blanket. This one was a knit log cabin blanket, as inspired by Mason Dixon Knitting, one of my favorite knitting books. This one is a little different from the pattern as printed in the book, but only a little. I did choose the girly pink and purple color scheme as requested by the prospective Mommy. This will be her third child and only girl - she wants to go full on pink. When I finished the body of the blanket I thought a little about the edging. I decided with the strong graphics of the blanket a lacey edging would look silly. I considered picking up and knitting a garter stitch border, but discarded the idea as with a grater stitch blanket I thought I'd want something a little firmer. The idea of applied I-cord made my heart sink, so I went with "Old Faithful" - the basic single crochet edge.


I took Roxy for a walk at the Lowell Holly Reservation today. I'm working every night this week so I think I'll try to get both of us outside in the good weather every day so I don't feel like a mushroom in a cave. Also I need to get out & clean up my beds for spring. I have seen a lot of plants springing up around the Cape so it's time to get ready for gardening season. Lots of outdoor action for me this week!

2 comments:

naomi dagen bloom said...

Such envy on my part with too many UFOs in the basket and here you are with adorable knit quilt. Kay Gardiner of M-D would be delighted. And the crochet frog. Very impressive.

jaykaym said...

Love the Log Cabin Baby Blanket. We are having a explosion of babies amongst my friend's children - all children I've known since they were in pre-school. I'm looking for easy blankets to make since it will become a full-time job keeping up with our baby population explosion. If you have other good easy baby patterns in your repetoire to share I'd gratefully appreciate it.