Thursday, November 30, 2006

Snow Day

This week we have the first winter storm of the season. It started last night with freezing rain and sleet, continuing all day today with sleet and snow. It looks like we will end up with about six inches of snow at the house. I waited until late to take a picture - evening is coming and it's almost dark. Early on in the storm we also had thunder and hail. It has been so cold that Roxy doesn't run away - she just does her business and runs back into the house. A good thing, too, because I am not very motivated to take her out for a walk. Tonight will be colder, and Friday night colder still. We should get down to about 8 degrees Saturday morning. I can't remember the last time it was that cold here.

Yesterday the weather guys were predicting that we might have as much as 8 inches of snow. We were getting heavy sleet early this morning, so I waited until sunup to leave for work so I could see what kind of trouble I was getting into. For a while I wandered around the house starting to get dressed for work, then putting my sweat pants back on. I couldn't decide whether to try to get to work or not. Finally I decided to go in, and leave around noon if the snow was coming down as heavy as predicted. I knew that I would not like to drive in more than 4 inches of snow. The local roads were vile, but I thought I'd wait until I saw what the highway was like before I made my final decision. I got off on the first exit after I got on and went home.



I was able to take advantage of the day at home to make progress on the never ending afghan. I think I am nearing the halfway point. This is a big relief because I have not done any crochet to speak of for quite a while and I was afraid I had lost my speed.

While Shana was at work I was able to do a little work on the Super Secret Project. I had not touched it since she came back from Boston, and I was beginning to worry about meeting deadline with it. I'll have a bit of time tomorrow afternoon, too. After that I think I can finish it pretty easily next week. I need it to be done then so it can be completely dry before I wrap it.

This evening I will switch over to knitting. I've got three pairs of socks on the needles - one is the Wildfoote for me. which can wait until after Christmas is necessary, although I'm eager to have them on my feet. They are coming out so pretty! I've also got half a pair of Fetching, with another pair planned. The Kimono Shawl is still on the needles, but it won't be anyone's Christmas gift, so it will also wait. I made pretty good progress on it in Boise, but haven't touched it since I've been home. With the cold weather I am kicking myself that I don't have a cute hat. Maybe this weekend I can knock out some kind of hat for myself. Jennifer bought me a book of hat patterns and a skein of Cascade 220 in a nice green that will make the perfect hat to go with my brown coat.

No comments: