Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day

I've given up pointing out to people that "Paddy" is an insulting and racist word to an Irish person.  Instead I will just thank the beautiful green island of Ireland for my round Irish face, my stock-in-trade of words and the love of reading, and a lifelong love of Celtic music. I will also point out that it was the Irish and their love of learning (held in trust by the much maligned Catholic church) who kept civilization ready to be restored after the fall of the Roman Empire gave way to the conquests of the Huns and Germanic tribes who ushered in the Dark Ages. You can read about it here.

1 comment:

Kay Dennison said...

'Paddy' was originally a nickname for Patrick and still is in Ireland. The cops in Boston originated the term "paddy wagon" because the Irish immigrants (many of whom were called Patrick or Paddy) tended fight when in their cups and someone started to call the wagon they used to haul them to jail the paddy wagon.

I'm a wee bit of Irish and it doesn't bother me.


And oh yeah, I do love the Clancys!! I actually got to see them in concert long ago!!! It was one of the highlights of my life.



As you know, I love the Clancys.