Wednesday, December 31, 2014

New Year's Revolutions

Every year, like everyone else, I make plans for the New Year. Here are mine for 2015:

The two chubby girls who share this house will be turning to fewer calories and more exercise after a last hurrah of fancy French food at Bleu. Bring on the butter! We'll be frequenting the gym and bumping up the vegetables around here. I fell down on my cycling goals last year. This year I will try to get in 100 miles per week. I mean to get out on the water every week, too. Now that I have my kayak I have no reason not to. A long walk every day will be good for me and the dogs. If Roxy does not want to walk far I can drop her off and keep walking.

I have a sweater in progress which I started and intended to finish last year. I'll pick that back up this week and finish it. I want to knit a lace shawl during the year too.  I plan to go to Rhinebeck for the first time next year and must surely have at least one handknit sweater or not be admitted. I plan to try entrelac sometime this year.

I need to do more reading, something that surfing the Internet and knitting prevent. Clearly something needs to move over. More reading, less Internet and TV. I really can eliminate at least the most tiresome TV without suffering unduly. I am at the library once a week. Why don't I read more books?

I intend to post at least weekly here. This is always my intention, with some months more successful than others. If I am short of content some weeks I should go out more! No new content appears in front of my laptop.

I want to meet a friend for coffee every week. I have friends I do not see often with whom I do not want to lose contact. I will also be volunteering at the MSPCA every week, mostly plying with kitties, I think.

The veggie garden needs to be more productive this year. I am inspired to go all in for Square Foot Gardening this year. My garlic is already in place, and we are in negotiations for other crops that will please both of us (one of us does not like squash). I want another flower bed, too. In order to make this happen I really need to be out in the yard for an hour or two every day working on the yard. I really don't mind weeding and I will keep caught up on my podcasts this way. I think the key will be to get moving early and go to bed earlier. I am really not doing anything much after 11:00 pm and one round of morning news will cover most of what I need to know. There is not much happening on the TODAY show of use anymore. That time can go to my gardens.

That's enough in the plan for this year. I haven't looked back at last year's goals yet, but I'm pretty sure I missed the mark in some, if not most areas.



1 comment:

zippiknits...sometimes said...

You have about 26 hours a day planned there. hehe

I applaud that you will give up TV and not reading! And, square foot gardening for veggies is a great way to do it. I've done that, too. We just had to figure a way to keep the twins out of the rows of scallions. She loved eating them even as a toddler.