Friday, October 29, 2010

It Gets Better

In case anyone is living under a rock, there is a project started by Dan Savage and his husband to encourage young victims of bullying to hang on in the certain knowledge that high school ends and then you can be free. There has been a string of suicides by young gay men who did not know that. Being a late-to-the-party lesbian I did not suffer that particular form of bullying, but I did suffer ridicule from my undeniable oddness. I was embarrassed and ashamed and did not know that those jerks had no right to make themselves feel better at my expense. I did not know that would not last for the rest of my life. Luckily I did have friends to share good times with (some still with me through the magic of the Internet - Hi Emma!, Hi Pam!) and I did find that the time comes when you realize that nothing holds you back from being your true self once you are an adult. Except biology, that is. I am still unable to see the physical resemblance between myself and Penelope Cruise. In celebration of this program there is a very nice video by the Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles that brought tears to my eyes and a smile to my face. Maybe you will like it too.





And if you should know a young person who is being bullied, or does not know that high school does not last forever please tell them. Tell them it gets better.

No comments: