Friday, March 12, 2010

Playing (with the) Possum

Now that the weather's been a bit nicer the dogs have been able to get out for a little walk. If I was a Really Good Dog Mommy they would have a walk no matter what the weather but I am not and they are Sorely Deprived. I almost made up for it this week when we saw The Possum. The sun wasn't up yet, and he was sitting on the top of a fence staring down at us with disdain (or whatever the usual expression of possums is). Roxy was jumping around barking up at him and poor Skippy was snuffling around on the ground wondering where it was. I was grinding my teeth because I had no camera with me.

Later I had a stroke of luck. As I was leaving for work the possum ambled across the road in front of me. I jumped out of the car and pursued him across the neighbor's lawn in my peep toe pumps for this truly fabulous shot. I am so disappointed with my pictures. I took quite a few but I didn't want to get too close until he was safely under a bush so he wouldn't feel the need to bite me. My long shots were total failures. This is a shame because he is absolutely the biggest possum I have ever seen - has to be about 25 pounds. No worries - I will have my camera with me at all times from now on.

No comments: