Thursday, September 11, 2008

Women Against Sarah Palin

I find myself very distressed by the direction the campaign has taken since Sarah Palin became the Republican Nominee for vice president. My main objection to her as vice president is that she is seriously unqualified to serve as president should it be necessary. Her education and experience do not qualify her. As Mayor of Wasilla she oversaw a staff of fewer than I have supervised in my work life, and she proved unequal to that task and hired an administrator to perform those functions. She has never been outside of the United States except to visit National Guard troops stationed abroad. She volunteered that she did not have much of an opinion or know much about Iraq. Her right wing creationist anti-feminist leanings should not be carried to the top of the government. Aside from that, I find her mean spirited, not-quite-truthful parroting of the Republican talking points alarming. Not because I believe them, but because people I have had reason to believe were reasonable reality-based adults seem to believe her. Maybe they just want to believe her. I can only assume that people farther down on the educated and media-doubting scale will take every word she says as gospel and we will be saddled by at least another term of war mongering incompetence.

When I look around and see what to me seems to be obvious graft, corruption, and incompetence and I hear educated people saying how they back the Republicans if feel like I am in a remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers and I feel frightened and confused.

Go here to read some opinions of some other, more thoughtful women about Ms. Palin.

2 comments:

zippiknits...sometimes said...

Thanks for posting this letter. I feel endangered by this particular choice of woman for VP. I don't think she rightly represent American Women or the struggle we have fought to obtain our voting rights, or any other right, to stand as equals in our nation.

Thanks for your post. :)

Anonymous said...

i'm right there with you, sistah!