Thursday, August 03, 2006



Deadline Day



Desperate times at the office. For some reason everyone was having a hellish month, and today was the last day for input. I left at 6:45, missing my yoga class, and I was not the last to leave. I did finish - tomorrow will tell if I have made a mess of it. My brain hurts!

On a happier note, pictured above is the Creatures of the Reef shawl from Fiddlesticks Knitting , in white JaggerSpun Zephr. This is my first lace shawl, and I am very proud of the results. Fiddlesticks is great to work with, ships promptly, and responds to email questions immediately. The pattern was terrific, very detailed charts, easy to follow, and the results are beautiful. I put off starting it for weeks because I had terrible Fear of Charts, but once started it was not bad. It helps that the charts were so big and detailed. Because every section changes there were a lot of charts. I am having more trouble with another, simpler shawl with a very small chart that repeats. The problem I am having is that it is to be triangular, starting from a few stitches at the neck. Increasing and adding motifs is not quite intuitive for me (yet). Perseverence will win in the end, I'm sure. When I finish that, and the Kimono Shawl from Folk Shawls I have my eye on the Fiddlesticks Peacock Feathers Shawl. Wendy Johnson knit one last year and it was gorgeous. I happen to have a giant skein of laceweight teal merino that would knit up nicely in that pattern.

Alex is moving this weekend - he's taking furniture from his dad's house today, and getting his other stuff over the weekend. He should be coming by tonight for some clothes. I imagine I will see him regularly on laundry day. He has been anxious to try life on his own. I hope things go well for him. I'm sure he'll learn plenty. He's known the boy he's moving in with since 6th grade, so there shouldn't be too many surprises for anyone.

This weekend should see the end of the Zebra Socks (the same ones that met the Yarn Harlot!), so I should have a picture of them up soon. I am almost to the heel in the purple Dancing socks. Saturday I need to try a 40 mile ride, and Sunday will be another triathalon. I don't know where that one is, but the purple sock will surely be going.

No comments: