I've been fiddling around with hats this week. I've made a hat according to a pattern (notice I do not say exactly!) and one that's pretty much improvised.
I made Beamish from BamBeanies pretty much as written, except for using only one color. It came out pretty cute. I must point out that the "hat model" has a pointy bun on the back of her head, which makes the shape of the hat decidedly odd. I used Cascade 220 superwash, which is very nice to work with except that this skein had a lot of damaged sections that caused me to need to work in more ends than I should have. Otherwise a super easy hat with a lot of sizes listed.
I used Calorimetry from Knitty as a springboard for my Not Quite Calorimetry headband. I made it smaller, and added a flower and leaves for a girly touch. I used odds and ends of yarn for this one, out of the loads of partial skeins still lurking in my reduced and edited stash. Although I purged a lot from the stash getting ready for my big move I did keep the partial skeins of workhorse yarns I knew would be enough for small projects. I cannot explain away the deficiencies in this hat model. Sorry.