Sunday, October 07, 2007

Boomer Tuna

This weekend the OU Sooners payed the Texas Longhorns. In addition to the usual ongoing rivalry there was this little extra twist. Because each team had already lost one game (gee thanks Colorado) the winner of this one would continue on in contention for the Big 12 Championship, and the loser would go to the basement with Baylor. Shana and I entertained the WAACO's for the event. The game was fiendishly close and there was much screaming and groaning. Ruby arrived late in the afternoon and said she could tell we had scored before she even got into the house. There was also much munching and snacking thanks to an excellent Mexican themed potluck. Next game up was LSU vs Florida - Shana and I were exhausted by the time that was over. College football this year is so exciting.


The new Project on the needles is the Big Bad Baby Blanket from the first Stitch & Bitch book. I started it in the car on the way to Beavers Bend and continued it at the campfire (while daylight lasted, anyway). I'm still plugging away at it, but the endless rows of stockinette and reverse stockinette will take some determination. This one will be for Jennifer's new arrival. Nimrod (funny story) is due in the middle of February, so I've got a fighting chance of getting it in on time. The odds of completing it are also increased because it is the ultimate in TV knitting. With a couple of stitch markers I hardly have to look at it at all. Jennifer picked it out as her first choice when she was last here - I noted than this beautiful object in the book called for 8 skeins of Kiogu. At around $13.00 per skein that's a bit rich for something for the baby to throw up on. I'm going with Caron's Simply Soft in Off White. The yarn is a bit thicker than the koigu, and since it's held double throughout, on the size 7 needles I happened to have free I think this blankie may outlive us all, and also repulse terrorist bullets. I think it will also be quite nice looking, although it make take more talent than I possess to make it photogenic. In a few more inches I'll take it for a festive outdoor photshoot to see if that will get me better results.






No comments: