Thursday, March 12, 2015

Within Spittin' Distance of Spring

Every day I see more signs of spring - the birds are singing, the days are longer, Daylight Savings Time is in effect. The tree buds are swelling, as are the flower buds on my big rhododendrons. I don't know what's happening to the dwarf rhodys - they are still completely covered with snow. I am doing Weight Watchers Online in an effort to reconcile my body and my shorts. I just can't get excited about buying new shorts to accommodate a tubbier waist. We had four thrilling days with temperatures in the low 40s. We are back in the 30's again, with snow forecast for Saturday, but I can see nearly half of my bird bath and I think spring is coming. I swear I will stop posting snow pictures soon, except that tomorrow morning we are driving out to Wellfleet to try to get a look at the giant ice chunks that are washing ashore there.  I'll probably post pictures of those! The news guys keep saying that this is a once-in-a-generation sight, So I'd better not pass it up because I am too lazy to drive down Cape to see it.





I went for a nice walk on Menahaunt Beach this afternoon. I was planning to go to the gym, but I had on a warm coat so I soaked up a little sun and gathered a handful of beach glass instead.  Like most of the Cape Cod beaches, this one had some erosion over the winter, but not as bad as the Bay and Atlantic beaches.

I'm still knitting like crazy. I work on my Must Have Cardigan early in the day while the light holds - there are large sections of "knit the knits and purl the purls" for which I need decent light. I am just a few inches up the back section, but I'm not going to hurry. I'd like to have it for a Rhinebeck sweater but with Little Wave already finished I will have at least one to wear and need not rush this one. Two pair of socks for myself so far with another pair down to the heel on the first sock, and my Christmas yarn shawl is about a third done. I've got yarn wound and a pattern selected for a lace shawl but have not cast on yet. I'm spending a lot of time indoors so far this year, and things are happening on the needles.

Roxy went for her yearly checkup this week. At 16 years old she is in good shape but could use some dental attention. I'm hesitating because at her age I would rather not chance anesthesia. Doctor says it's better nowadays, but I am not quite convinced. She's enjoying her walks, and as long as the ice on the street does not cut into her paws she's happy to get out there.

No comments: