Friday, May 27, 2011

Overkill

It's a pretty well known theme that the rich are getting richer and the poor poorer, but most of the time they don't really see see each other's lifestyle.  On the Cape because it's a pretty small community you do come in contact with how the other half lives pretty regularly.  For one thing, there are lots of magazines that feature the more spectacular Cape Cod homes. Jobs are not terribly easy to come by on the Cape, and lots of native Codders work at a variety of part time projects - lawn care, housekeeping, drivers and home care for the elderly.  They see the insides of the homes and characters of the richer citizens and snow birds. 

People from New York and Boston see the rural unpretentious beauty of The Cape and hurry on down to ruin it with their giant houses. As time goes by the modest beach houses and full time homes with water views or access get torn down to accommodate the standards and tastes of the fortunate. This house in progress will exceed 8,000 square feet, not including the oversized double garage and what looks to be two patios or decks.  The first houses on this road were in the 1,000 - 2,400 square foot range; there's only one untouched that I know of.  For scale I must add that the house we are buying measures 816 square ft.

One more point should be made -  after this house is complete the owner of this house will probably stay in it for two months in the summer and a few weekends in the fall.  

2 comments:

Kay Dennison said...

I find such conspicuous consumption vulgar and selfish!! A question that nags at me is: How much is enough! I've had to learn to live on very little since my divorce and to be honest, I kind of like it and friends are amazed at how well I manage on very little. It isn't easy but creativity, frugality and determination help a lot. I used to think that there was no such thing as too much money but this post tells me that there is. And the sad thing is that the average American probably pays a higher percentage of his/her income in taxes and that is so very wrong!

Kay Dennison said...

Sorry I got on my soapbox!!!