Friday, March 05, 2010

And it Begins...

The weather is finally changing in Oklahoma, and I can think of no good excuse to stay indoors fooling around on the computer or watching movies - it's time to get the bike out for a spin. It looks like tomorrow will be (just) good enough for a ride; if I did not want to embarrass myself in front of everyone on earth I had to get out today to wrestle with the pump, find my gear, and get over the irrational fear of my shoes. I face fear of shoes at the start of every year until I clip in and out a few times to assure myself I have not forgotten how or lost the knack of it. One time Shana lost a screw out of her shoe and could not get clipped out of one pedal at all - a generally awful experience I don't want to emulate in any way.

It was so lovely today - low 70's and almost totally blue skies. The stiff wind from the south was not so pleasing, but such a constant feature here that it (almost) makes no sense to complain about it. Besides, when the wind is that strong the birds sit around on the banks of the lake where I can see them and get (bad) pictures even with the little camera. I was not as pleased with my riding as the weather. My bike is still new to me, and my balance is not as good as it needs to be. There is also the small issue of physical condition. A zippy little 6 mile ride was really as much as I wanted. There is also the minor issue of my mayonnaise colored legs. The glare is likely to injure anyone not wearing proper eye protection.

No comments: