Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Holiday Home Stretch

This weekend we've "enjoyed" some (very) minor drama. Friday we were blessed with such a beautiful day that I took Roxy and Skippy to the dog park. They had been so bored hanging around the house in the recent cold weather that they were getting into every possible kind of mischief. Roxy was so desperate for entertainment that she actually ran and played with other dogs, which she rarely does. Skippy has not felt like playing fetch for some time but Friday he wanted to, so I threw the ball for him. Unfortunately amid all of the running and leaping he landed awkwardly on his tired old ankles and hurt his right foreleg. By Saturday morning he was no better, and the leg was noticeably swollen. Off the the vet, and $200.00 later we were back home with doggy NSAIDS and orders of rest. Poor old guy! At least we are certain the ankle is not broken, which I thought it might be.

Shana came down with a cold Friday which has since turned into laryngitis. This did not bode
well for the yearly ceremonial opening of Rita's wallet. Luckily Rita can read lips well, because she could not hear Shana's whispering at all. (Rita also thought the laryngitis might be a permanent condition) I went along for the shopping trip to translate and laugh. By the time we were ready to leave Target Shana was worn out and Rita had had as much stimulation as she could stand.

After the shopping expedition I helped Aunt Rita with her annual quick bread. This year we made pumpkin bread. One of the ladies Shana works with shared an excellent recipe which Shana had already tested earlier this season, so we put it to use again. I think that is the last of
the baking for this year except for Shana's office gift cookies which she will make herself. Although I like to bake for the holidays by the time I am finished I have well and truly lost interest in the process. Still, the gift trays will be pretty, and once I have them made up I know I'll be happy I made them up.

I finished my shopping early Friday afternoon when I was waiting with Samantha for her car to be repaired. I am now down to one simple grocery store item and I can sit back and enjoy the fun. It doesn't hurt a bit that I leave work early on Wednesday and don't go back to work until Monday.

1 comment:

zippiknits...sometimes said...

Oh my, such a nice baking session! I'm glad that you had fun with your baking. We did too, here in Cali.

Thanks for posting pictures of the cookiefest and Bread baking! Cheers for your Auntie, helping to whip up the big batches of dough and batter. Yay!

Saltine Toffee sounds delicious.