Friday, March 07, 2008

Friday Fun

Today I dropped in to visit Alex, Vivian and Jamie. I am still being viewed with suspicion by Young Miss (although she does still like my glasses), but obviously Daddy is not! I can hardly believe how big she is getting. She's full of opinions, babbles like crazy, and is able to stand by herself (as of yesterday).


If you have time for a little video here's something worth seeing: http://www.maniacworld.com/frozen-in-grand-central-station.html This particular video is kid-and work-safe, but naturally I cannot guarantee everything on this site.


I've got three pair of socks on the needles - halfway through with the pink monkey socks and two pair of 3x1 rib for TV viewing. None of them are photogenic, so I won't put their boring piccies up this time. Instead I'll share an equally boring picture of one of my favorite snack treats - edamame. For the uninitiated they are boiled green soybeans. You can add the green beans to salads for extra taste and nutrition, but my favorite is the freeze dried bean. This particular (crunchy freeze-dried) bean had added wasabi flavor. They are a great salty snack, and a 1/2 cup has these advantages over potato chips:
120 calories
9 grams fiber
2.5 grams fat
1.5 grams polyunsaturated fat (0.3 grams plant omega-3 fatty acids)
0.5 gram monounsaturated fat
11 grams protein
13 grams carbohydrate
15 mg sodium
10% of the Daily Value for vitamin C
10% Daily Value for iron
8% Daily Value for vitamin A
4% Daily Value for calcium
They compare favorably with peanuts in terms of nutrition, and with lots fewer calories. Everything a person could want in a snack, and it's portable, too. You can drop a packet into your bag and it won't be crushed or ruined. They make a nice addition to trail mix, or good on their own. I've even seen some chocolate covered ones. I have not tried those yet, but their time will surely come. Try some - you'll like them!

No comments: