Saturday, January 26, 2008

Baby Hat Week

It's been a busy week. I have not had the time or concentration to work on anything complicated, so the project of choice has been baby hats. I made up two Umbilical Cord Hats from Knitty Gritty this week. Although I used the identical pattern and the same needles for both of them, they came out looking very different. One was a baby shower gift for a girl in TLC Wiggles from Coats & Clarks; the other a hat and socks for my soon-to-arrive grandson in a manly shade of DK weight Wool Ease. The socks don't come from an actual pattern - they are a scaled down seat-of-the-pants version of a plain top down heel flap sock.


I've used this pattern before - it's a foolproof basic that needs less than half a skein of yarn, knits up quickly, and always looks super cute. To some extent it doesn't seem to matter much what size of needle you use. These were Magic Looped on #7's. I've made them up with #8 DPN's with equally good results. Because baby hats and socks need so little yarn they are a good way to use up odds and ends. The little boy hat and socks were made from the leftovers from a London Beanie I made his father several years ago. I've got enough yarn from another London Beanie of his to make up another set for the baby. I think it would be mighty cute to see them in matching hats, so I think the next hat for the little guy will be a scaled down beanie.

No comments: