Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Back From Boston

This year I was lucky enough to spend the Thanksgiving weekend in Boston. Shana and I flew into Boston and took the bus out to Falmouth to visit her mom for a few days. We arrived early enough to go for a walk around the neighborhood and down to the shore. I find the salt air relaxing and the sound of the sea so inviting, even when the weather is cool. As always, dinner was good and the conversation better. Shana's stepsister Lisa was there for the holiday with her teenagers. It was fun to be able to visit with everyone.


The Dobberteen's house is a very pretty and cozy Cape cottage with some strategic additions on a beautiful lot. Maybe my favorite thing is the view from my bathroom window. Shana and I almost always have the back bedroom where the bedroom and bathroom both have a beautiful view of Bourne's Pond. Craning your neck only a little will give you a peek at Martha's Vineyard across the water. The blue and white bedroom is so pretty and the area so quiet; I always feel rested and pampered there. I only wished we could have come just a little earlier in the year to see the fall colors and Inace's beautiful gardens.


Friday we slept in a bit, then Shana and I went for a visit to downtown Falmouth, complete with a visit to the local tea shop and a tiny yarn crawl at Sage. As usual they had a beautiful selection of gifts and yarn. The big news is that they will soon have an online shopping cart. We drove home just in time to have a little walk on the beach (where apparently only live parking is allowed) before it got too dark. Shana dropped her phone on the beach but fortunately it was easily found because it was getting so cold we only stayed out there for a minute. After dinner we all had a go at "Scene It"; a fun movie themed game that sadly revealed the gaps between generations. Saturday morning we went back into Falmouth with Shana's mom for a bit of shopping and a delicious lunch. I feasted on scallops. Later in the day we caught the bus into Boston.

Saturday night we had dinner at Giacomo's: pumpkin tortellini for Shana and lobster ravioli for me. We followed it with coffee and a pastry down the street a bit, then a bit of a walk around Quincy Market.

Sunday it was brunch at Stephanie's on Newbury (another delicious meal) and a little shopping at Lush and Newbury Yarns. Shana waited out on the street while I poked around in Lush because the melange of scents there gives her allergies a workout, but she came into Newbury yarns to help me pick out a few special skeins. We picked out a skein of Cherry Tree Hill Silken Mohair for a scarf, a skein of Cherry Tree Hill Cascade Lace for a shawl, and a skein of J Knits sock yarn. With the Austerman Step and the Classic Elite alpaca sock yarn (for itchless gloves for Shana) I picked up in Falmouth I have some pretty things to play with. Fortunately we were traveling with very little baggage, so we had the motivation to keep our shopping under control.


Sunday afternoon we went to the Museum of Fine Arts to gorge ourselves on art. There were several interesting exhibits that we had to go back to for a second look, and even more we just could not get to because our heads were full to bursting. Of particular interest to me were a couple of ceramics by Sergei Isupov that were just haunting in their beauty and complexity.

Sunday evening we met Lisa in Chinatown for dinner - scallops again for me! By Monday morning I was ready to live on bread an water for the rest of my life and it was time to go home. I was disappointed when I get settled in at home to find that most of my pictures were pretty awful. Luckily it won't be my last trip to Boston.

1 comment:

Allison said...

Sounds like a good trip! I am heading back to MA next week to see the family. It's a bit too cold for me this time of year but that's when the holidays are! And it's the best time to visit the Cape. No tourists! Plus Boston is beautiful at Christmas time with all the lights.