Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Arrival in Boise

I'm here in Boise, keeping Jennifer company and enjoying the wonders of Idaho. I came in the day before Dan and Bonnie were to leave, so we had time to have dinner, a little visit and breakfast at Jennifer's favorite cafe in Meridian. It's really cute and the food was great. Of course the company was good, too. Bonnie looked terrific, very fresh and pretty (not so visible in the picture, alas) and Dan much the same as always (we are all older; how did that happen?) and it was lovely to be able to spend a little time with them. Jennifer's perfect posture is the result of a full body brace. Under her clothes her torso is encased in a form fitting plastic suit of armour that keeps her back aligned so that the break will heal properly.

Jennifer is going in to her office for two hours every day. I'm the chauffeur, and my reward is a shot tour of Boise every day. I try my hand at simultaneous driving on unfamiliar streets in an unfamiliar vehicle, talking and taking snaps. You can just imagine how exciting it must be to be the passenger! Jennifer is especially enjoying the surprise that I have absolutely no sense of direction, and therefore every day is a completely new day. I need constant direction. Boise is not very large, but is quite attractive. Most street have bike lanes, and since it is situated in a valley, there are beautiful mountain views in several directions. There has been snow this week in the mountains, so the mountain views are stunning.
Boise has a river running through the center of town, and a system of public parks along the river. There are multiuse paths, river access for small boats and rafts, tennis courts - all kinds of public facilities and the park we went to was very pretty. It's the end of fall color, and the willows next to the duck pond were particularly striking. Jennifer had a bit of an outdoor walk and a little sun. Maybe too much walk.
We've also visited her favorite yarn access points and bookstore, and the Meridian DMV. Now that Jennifer has her handicap parking tag we'll be assured of good parking spots. She's sure this will result in extreme popularity as Christmas shopping gets into full swing.
I've been knitting on three projects in rotation, depending on how much concentration I have. The Parting Ways sock is now on the heel flap and is kicking my butt. The leg was fine. It was interesting enough to require and keep my attention, but keeping the twisty rib going down the side of the heel is a bit fiddly. I must admit I was tempted to just do a plain flap, since the pattern is not showing up all that well. The only thing that kept me from doing it was that I do plan to make the sock again in a plain color, and I'd like to make my mistakes when it doesn't show.

No comments: